Tuesday, August 21, 2007

YouTube and "friends"

I'm getting really tired of this "friend" thing of Web 2.0. It's not all that friendly.

I got an invitation from YouTube to friend a 19 year old who appears to be into cars. Why me? He is also blasting me with emails to view each of his videos. In checking his profile it looks like he's annoyed a lot of people with his "spam" invitations. I can't figure out what brought him into my sphere of influence. I currently only have four videos on Youtube, none having anything to do with cars nor of interest to 19 year olds as far as I can tell. None have very many views. What's the point of inviting total strangers to view your videos? Do you get money for high hit rates?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Two random strangers invited me to be on their Twitter friends list. One had over 6,000 "friends", and over 2,000 people had added him as a friend. Odd. And don't get me started on the number of MySpace users who want to be friends with me. I'm sorry I ever signed up!

j-seagal said...

Only two random strangers? I've got about a dozen.

I'm steering clear of MySpace for just that reason.