Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Week 2, Exercise 1: Second Life

I'm sorry, but I just don't get Second Life and the push to involve libraries and librarians. We have several students at my library. I've asked each of them if they visit (inhabit) Second Life. They didn't even know what Second Life was and most of them are tech geeks.

Earlier I had watched an archive of a InfoIsland presentation done in Second Life. I had trouble focusing on the content, what with all the benches asking drop ins to take a seat and avatars popping in and out and even showing up on the podium in a daze.

I also don't trust the statistics about millions of inhabitants. I'd be willing to bet that the majority are people who registered to give it a try and have never come back.

I'm not into gaming. I'd much rather read a good novel than spend time on my computer playing games. And pay to play, no way!

No comments: